Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Start

Whelp, I arrived safe and sound!  I made it in around 2 o'clock yesterday and was shown my room and where everything was.  Youth Street starts at 2 so everyone was leaving just as I was coming in.  My mom and I left again, after I brought my things in, to go to the store to buy laundry detergent and some snacks.  We were back by 3 and it was a bit sad leaving my mom (well that was a lot sad) and walking into the mostly deserted base by myself.  After I put my bag in my room I decided to try and find some inhabitants somewhere and so headed to the cafe.  When I got there I found 4 girls all playing Bananagrams!!!! For those of you who don't know bananagrams is one of my all time favorite games and my mom and I had been playing it nearly every day on our trip.  Anyways I introduced myself and found out that they were also in DTS, 2 are doing the Youth DTS and the other 2 are in the Pacific DTS.  People kept trickling in and I was able to meet quite a few of the other DTS participants.  At 5 the Youth Street kids got back from the park and started setting up the auditorium for dinner.  It was the best thing ever.  We were able to participate in Youth Street and hang out with the kids and it was SO much fun!!! After dinner the kids just get to hang out anywhere around base, there is the cafe where they can buy cheep drinks, there is a room with a wii set up, there is dancing and games, and there is a massive half pipe and other boxes and grinding boards for the scooter dudes.  (Seth you would be in absolute heaven here!!!)  At 7 they had an hour service with 3 super energetic songs to get the kids pumped and then a short talk.  At one point during the talk we had to split up into groups of 8 and discuss specific questions that we were given.  I was in a group with another Youth DTS member (Andrew) and 6 scooter dudes, it was so much fun!  There was a little guy in a green helmet named Jacob who was SO adorable!  After the service it was hangout time again and I had an awesome time watching all of the little dudes scooter.

(I didn't finish this post yesterday so the rest of this was written on Monday)

Yesterday was orientation!  We are officially enrolled in the July DTS.  It has been such a sweet time so far.  We started off with a few games, fun fact: I am the youngest member of my DTS by 1 day, and then Fiona and Shea (the leaders of the youth and pacific DTS's) gave a short overview of what the DTS's are about.  After this we went into a short time of worship, registered into school, and then it was dinner!

Everyone here is so awesome.  In 121 (which is pretty much the girls dorm) the Youth DTS girls have 2 rooms with 6 in one and 7 in the other.  I am in the room of 6 and all of the girls are super awesome.  On Friday which was the first night I was here I didn't know who were going to be my roommates and every time I was in there either no one else was in the room or they were asleep with their face to the wall.  Anyways I hadn't set up anything on my bed and all of my stuff was still on in and when I went to go to bed everyone else was already asleep!  So I lugged my huge backpack off and left everything else on the bed and jumped into the top bunk.  When I woke up in the morning I met my bunkmate, Bet, and later she told me that I had a cracker box that kept her up for THREE hours the night before!  She said she kept pushing it but it was making some "dripping" noise.  Ha well it turns out it wasn't even my box (I don't really eat Ritz crackers) and so she has a bad impression of me when it wasn't even my fault!  Just kidding we are buddies.  It was pretty great though.

Sorry this is a ton of random stuff with no pictures or anything but my brain is in a whirlwind and so this is the best that I could get out!

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;  I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. -- John 10:10

No comments:

Post a Comment